Saturday, March 08, 2014

My Week with Marilyn (2011)

A film is being produced in England starring a famous Shakespearean actor and a sexy American star. She is emotionally unstable and unable to be on the set on time. She takes a fancy to a young errand runner, who is henceforth used as a bridge between the director and her. Between the woman and the youth an improbable relationship develops.

Not a terribly exciting story, I'm afraid. The emotional content is at once too explicit and too shallow, and didn't resonate with me. Some people have complained that it was not convincing, but for me it was worse: I wasn't even interested enough to ponder about it. Perhaps you can assess my level of empathy if I tell you the thought that the sight of Ulysses at the protagonist's bedside table prompted in me (but please do not call me insensitive). My thought was that her interest in the book arose from an identification with the book's female protagonist, a slut married to a Jew.

Rating: 32

No comments: