Saturday, December 14, 2013

As You like It (2006)

Based on a play by William Shakespeare estimated to have been written circa 1600.

A duke is overthrown and banished by his brother. Both dukes' daughters are friends to each other, and decide, along with some other courtiers, to flee the court for the neighboring forest, in search of the exiled duke. In their wanderings they will meet several persons.

This is said to have omitted a good deal of the original play (which I have not read), so I cannot say for sure what my appreciation of the source material would be. But, as it is, I found the whole literary concept and development quite anodyne, except for a few interesting ideas (e.g., the insight into how the two daughters' friendship might be politically harmful to the usurper). As for the properly cinematical aspects, the film is filled with annoying nonsense, such as casting blacks as some of the characters and making absolutely nothing of it. Well, Shakespeare wrote an entire play making the case that people are not color-blind, so I rest my case there.

Rating: 44


No comments: