Thursday, April 18, 2013

To Catch a Thief (1955)

Second viewing (first one: May 24, 1987) .

A retired thief and former Resistance member is wrongly accused of being the author of an on-going series of jewel burglaries in the French Riviera. He uses his skills to find the real culprit.


A finer pastime than I thought on my first viewing, but it strikes me as an empty one. It is probably my fault, I must be blinded by some prejudice or other. Who knows a third viewing will disclose something more (but I will not live forever, or so they tell me, which makes third viewings an improbable event).

A horrible casting absurdity I tried to ascribe to humor, but simply could not: the "adolescent" woman is played by an actress older than the "adult" one; not as ghastly, but also did not help verisimilitude: the main actor and romantic object is a man of fifty.

A person hanging from a roof edge would be back three years later in the director's oeuvre.

Rating: 51 (up from 42)

No comments: