Saturday, March 09, 2013

The Paradine Case (1947)

Second viewing (First one: January 26, 1989)

A woman is accused of murdering her husband, a blind man. The lawyer who will defend her falls in love with her, even though he is married, happily so to all appearances; he begins to think the dead man's valet played a part in the mysterious death in question.

The first time I saw this I did it on a dubbed and badly scraped copy. I now had a reasonable one at my disposal, but its length was 115 minutes, less than that of the original release, 132 minutes (or 125 in the PAL version). So, there were at least 10 minutes of film which were absent from my copy. Although I do not know to which part or parts of the film these absent bits belonged, I suspect that they must have to do with the process of falling in love that the defense lawyer goes through, because there is nearly nothing in the film I saw depicting that process. In any case, I retract from my previous hostile opinion towards the movie; there are enough qualities, both scriptwise and directionwise, in it to provide for a pleasurable viewing. It is clear to me that this is a film about the effects of a trial on those involved with it, either directly or indirectly, and it tackles this theme ably.

Rating: 60 (up from 30)

No comments: