Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Goodbye, New York (1985)

A woman leaves her husband and New York for a trip to Paris, but she falls asleep and ends up in Israel instead.

I could not find any review by professional critics. Dale Thomajan, a critic who worked for Film Comment, puts it among his Top Ten of 1985. There are a few user reviews on IMDb, some of which praise it highly and the rest pan it. Most of these reviews got the film entirely wrong: it's not a journey of personal growth, it is not Israeli propaganda, it is not Arab bashing. I see it as a comedy where things keep happening unexpectedly, and comicity or amusement is extracted from it. To be honest, I found it neither exciting nor boring. But I plan on seeing more stuff from this director. And I plan on seeing Goodbye, New York again, because I am not so good at getting film dialogue in English without subtitles.

Rating: 50

No comments: