Thursday, January 06, 2011

A Bridge Too Far (1977)

An account of Operation Market Garden, during World War II. The allies intended to seize three bridges in Holland, through a combined aerial and terrestrial operation.

I asked for The Bridge at Remagen at the video rental store, and when I got home I saw that I got this instead. It turned out I watched this for the second time and decided it was enough war for a while, so I postponed The Bridge at Remagen for some other time.

It's a tremendously complex film, in terms of plot, and the screenplay does not go out of its way to make things clearer for the uninitiated. At my level of understanding it was a fine spectacle, well made and historically interesting. There is a little bit of self-indulgence at the inclusion of the subplot about the soldier who rescues his superior because he made a promise to him. It has practically nothing to do with the rest of the movie. And to be honest I am flabbergasted at the recurring obsession of filmmakers with this kind of fantasy (compare Saving Private Ryan). Even ignorants like myself know that war doesn't afford this sort of behavior.

Rating: 61 (unchanged)

No comments: