Sunday, June 06, 2010

Shopgirl (2005)

Second viewing. I like it now. I didn't on my first viewing.

Here's what I wrote then (on April 28, 2007):

"Synopsis: A shop attendant at a department store begins a relationship with a
young man, who then follows a rock band on a tour. Meanwhile she meets a middle
aged rich man who wants her for fucking, and gives her expensive gifts.
Appraisal: Poorly written, often ridiculous drama that has an above average
leading duo of young performers and a delightful supporting performance (her
bimbo friend).
Rating: 12"

The synopsis is OK, but I can only guess why I thought it was "poorly written, often ridiculous" and why I thought it was a "drama" (well, that part is controversial, perhaps). The remarks about the performances were correct, though. The only explanation I can find for my negative comments (other than deeply encroached neuroses or plain stupidity) is that a fine screenplay badly directed is not so easy to distinguish from a bad screenplay well directed.

New Rating: 55

Observation: I saw it dubbed this time (but checked out some of the dialogue on paper.)

No comments: