Sunday, September 28, 2008

Police (1985)

A cop investigating Tunisian drug dealers in Paris falls in love with a suspect's girlfriend.

This is possibly the most bizarre police drama I have seen, and yet I kind of liked it. The free interaction between characters on both sides of the law is somewhat implausible, lending the film a melodramatic flavor, which operates simultaneously with the more realistic aspects of it. In a scene near the ending a character invites the same cop that beat him earlier for a drink, telling him that he held no grudge; I was intrigued by this scene, wondering whether this is in tune with the melodramatic side or was it intended to be realistic in regards to France's social reality. It was all the more puzzling to me since here in Brazil I think no scene of this kind would ever be possible. At any rate it's an interesting, intense film.

Rating: 61

No comments: